October 29, 2020
Gutter Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
Clean your gutters safely and efficiently so that they are ready for winter.
Fall is a beautiful time of year, with colorful leaves falling and covering the ground. However, those same leaves are also notorious for clogging your gutters, preventing proper drainage.
In the long run, regular gutter cleaning saves money and prevents water damage to your home. When your gutters are filled with debris, they can’t drain correctly, causing water damage issues like mold, flooding or foundation damage. Now is the time to take action and remove debris before freezing temperatures hit.
Tools and Safety
Before starting, make sure you have all your tools available and in one accessible place:
• Gloves – they keep your hands clean and protect from unseen sharp objects
• Shoes – wear shoes with a non-slip sole
• Goggles – they protect your eyes from splashes
• Ladder – use a sturdy ladder that is tall enough, so you don’t stand on the top rung
• Rake – rake extra leaves off the roof, so they don’t end up in the gutters during rainfall
• Garbage bag – for cleanup so soggy leaf piles aren’t left in your yard
And follow these safety precautions:
• Ideally, have a partner below keeping the ladder steady. If this is not possible, make sure someone is aware of your activity so they can help in the event of an accident
• Only work in good weather, avoiding wind or rain
• Avoid working near power lines
• Always move the ladder to a new place rather than try to reach farther down
Cleaning and Maintenance
To clean out your gutters, go along the perimeter of your house with the ladder and scoop out leaf and debris buildup. If needed, use a plastic scoop to tackle the hard spots or some other plastic hand tool that won’t damage the gutters.
Once all the gutter gunk is removed, use a garden hose to flush out any remaining debris and clear out your downspouts. Keep an eye out for any leaks or repairs that need to be made. For instance, if there is any water that is just standing in the gutter, your gutter is improperly sloped. Simply detach the gutter hangers to adjust slightly. Regular fall maintenance will prevent expensive issues from coming up during the cold winter months.
Call Professional Services
If the work is too much for you to handle on your own or if your house is over one story tall, don’t hesitate to call a professional gutter cleaning service. They have all the equipment and expertise to clean your gutters thoroughly and safely. They will also be able to catch and prevent possible damage before it happens. Enterprise Roofing offers expert help in preparing your home for winter and keeping your roof and gutters in excellent shape. Contact us today and request a quote!
Recent Blog Posts
Roof Wind Damage: How to Spot It
When storms or high winds pass through, your roof protects you from the outside elements. Ohio is especially prone to severe winds that can cause property damage.